Tuesday, January 31, 2012

CrockPot Tuesday! Back again for more...

Since I've been such a slacker, I'll give you two good recipes. Maybe then you won't give me the stink-eye.



Crock-Pot Porridge
-From "The Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook" (normally I stay far far away from anything with the word "diet" in it as I believe in eating healthy naturally, not going on a "diet" BUT this book really does kick-ass so I forgive Tosca for putting the "D" word in the title)

1/2 c. cracked wheat (I used my grain mill for fresh cracked red wheat)
1 1/2 c. steel-cut oats
1/2 c. rye flakes
1/2 c. brown rice (or wild rice)
1/4 c. wheat germ (I used raw instead of toasted)
6 1/2 c. water or any combo of liquids including rice milk, soy, almond milk, goat's milk etc. (I used good 'ol skim cow's milk)
1/2 c. raisins
1/2 c. chopped dates
1 1/2 Tbs good quality vanilla
pinch nutmeg

**you may add any dried fruit or nuts, the dish is very forgiving (I added chopped plums and dried apples today). Suggestions: flax seed, blueberries, figs, bananas

Place all ingredients in a 3qt or greater crock pot; stir well. Bring up to temperature then decrease to "keep warm" setting and cook overnight (or longest cooking time and lowest heat). Spoon into cereal bowls in the morning and serve piping hot.

Makes 8, 1c. servings.



Slow Cooker Parmesan Honey Pork Roast
-adapted from Six Sisters' Stuff (with mild modifications)

2-3# boneless pork roast
2/3 c. grated parmesan cheese (I used asiago)
1/2c. honey
3 Tbs. soy sauce
2 Tbs dried basil
2 Tbs minced garlic
1 Tbs olive oil
1 tsp salt
ground pepper
2 Tbs. cornstarch
1/4 c. water

Spray cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Brown roast on all sides lightly then place in crock pot. Combine cheese through pepper then pour over roast. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hrs. Remove meat from crock pot and shred, removing large fatty chunks. Strain sauce using gravy strainer (to remove most of grease) then place into small saucepan. Bring to a boil, meanwhile combine cornstarch and water. Slowly stir in cornstarch and continue to stir until thick. Serve with garlicky mashed potatoes and green beans!

I found the roast to be extremely fall-apart yummy goodness. The gravy is mild and not too sweet or too savory and the cheese was just a hint of flavor, not overpowering. I would possibly try 2 things: adding a touch more honey to sweeten it up and maybe adding a dash of cider vinegar to make it a bit more tangy-bbq-y. I will let you know in the future how this fares, but as-is this dish is yummy and would also make a fabulous sandwich!

No comments:

Post a Comment