Sunday, February 12, 2012

Speaking of Beans...

Today Cowboy and I made waffles and substituted pureed white beans for the oil. Cowboy loves waffles with fresh strawberries and whipped cream so I told him I would make him some if he'd let me try out the bean puree. Thankfully I have a wonderful husband who doesn't mind (and sometimes even participates in) experimenting!

I put a whole can of undrained white Northern beans in the food processor, pressed the button, and let it do its thing. A minute or so later I halted the processor and swiveled off the cover. It looked surprisingly like vanilla pudding. I added a 1/4c. of puree to my batch of buttermilk waffles, changing nothing but the oil content. I used to substitute ground flax seed for most of the oil while still putting in about 2 tsp of oil into the batch. This time I still added flax seed but only 1Tbs.

I have a double-sided flip waffle iron which I love. The waffles came out crispy on the outside and extremely fluffy and light on the inside. They were delicious! They were a lot lighter than my previous substitutions so I was very impressed. Normally I have to get the ratios just right or I have chewier firm waffles.


One other thing I noticed was the number of waffles I could eat was significantly less- I felt full very quick and it continued to increase the longer I sat. I cursed myself for eating too fast and too many because they were so good.

Bean puree is going to be the new staple in this house. I would like to try cookies and cakes using beans next. We considered pureeing the canned beans then dehydrating them to make a condensed powder. This way when we needed to sub beans for oil we could quickly rehydrate the puree and add to the mix.

Cowboy and I are also trying to make more products ourselves instead of purchasing them. We used to use Redi-Whip (about $5/can) on our waffles purely out of convenience. Full fat because the lighter version was filled with extra ingredients. We also used soy creamer since it was the healthiest thing I could find to put in our coffee that didn't taste fake, gross, or extremely unnatural.

With Longmont Dairy Farm's home delivery program we have more to chose from than just milk. I now order a pint of their half-n-half every other week for our coffee. Being the health conscience individual I am, I cut the half-n-half with a pint of skim milk and put it all in a quart glass jar. I don't know how that turns out calorie & fat-wise but it is a heck of a lot better than straight up. The jar lasts the two of us between a week and a half to two weeks worth of one-cup-a-morning coffees.


We also have started ordering a pint of whipped cream ($3.32/pint) every other week for our waffle mornings. Mixing our own whipped cream tastes better, I know what goes in it, I'm supporting a great company, and it's better for you than something in a can, AND much cheaper.

Whipped Cream is SO easy to make. 


Homemade Whipped Cream
1 c. (or 1/2 pint) chilled whipped cream
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 c. powdered sugar

For best results, stick your mixer bowl and beater in the freezer while you are prepping everything.
Pour whipped cream into the mixer bowl and beat on high speed for about a minute or two until you start seeing stiff peaks form. *do not overbeat or it will turn into the consistency of butter*
Add vanilla and sugar then beat again for a few seconds. Taste and add more sugar if necessary.



It's that simple. This recipe makes enough that for waffle mornings I usually cut it in half. A pint of cream makes four waffle mornings for us! For variation you could add a little cocoa powder, rum/almond, or many other flavorings. I have a Butter Pecan coffee flavoring I was eye-balling one morning but haven't tried it yet. 


1 comment:

  1. I want to come live with you... you're so clever =)

    ReplyDelete